I heard that HDFC has cover for diabetes patients. Is this true? What are the features?
At the moment HDFC does not offer cover for diabetes patients. However, here are some of the best Health Insurance policies for diabetics in India:
Star Health Insurance – Diabetes Safe
• Age limit – 18 to 65 years.
• Applicable for those already living with Diabetes Mellitus or even those at risk for Diabetes Mellitus.
• Sum assured options from Rs.50,000 to Rs.5,00,000.
• Available on individual and floater basis.
• Covers all complications from diabetes from day 1 of the policy.
• Pre-hospitalization expenses taken care of for up to 30 days prior to hospitalization.
• Post-hospitalization expenses taken care of for up to 60 days after discharge from the hospital.
• Automatic restoration of Basic Sum Insured by 100% (not available for floater policy).
• Income tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
• Cashless hospitalization in over 6,000 network hospitals.
• No TPA, direct in-house claim settlement.
ICICI Prudential - Diabetes Care
• Age limit – 25 to 60 years.
• Applicable to those suffering from Type 2 Diabetes or Pre-Diabetes.
• Sum assured options of Rs.3,00,000, Rs.5,00,000 and Rs.10,00,000.
• Diabetes enhanced benefit rider: 10% of the base sum assured.
• If you are diagnosed after 1 year of the policy being in force, you will get 100% of the sum assured. If it happens between 6 – 12 months after the policy’s start date, you will receive 50% of the sum assured and if it happens in under 6 months of the policy start date, you will receive all the premiums paid that far.
• The policy has a fixed 5 year term.
• The claim is payable only after 28 days of survival after the diagnosis.
• HbA1c tests, blood pressure tests and pulse rate measuring will have to be done every 4th and 8th month of every year that the policy is in force. ICICI Prudential will sponsor these tests.
• Reduced premiums if you are able to control and manage your diabetes.
Apollo Munich Health Insurance - Apollo Munich Energy
• Applicable to those suffering from Type 2 Diabetes, IFG, ITG and/or Hypertension.
• Covers hospitalization expenses for periods over 24 hours.
• Pre-hospitalization expenses covered for 30 days before hospitalization.
• Post-hospitalization expenses covered or 60 days after discharge.
• Medical expenses covered for over 144 day care procedures.
• Medical expenses covered for organ harvesting from donors for organ transplantation.
• Up to 25% reduction in premiums if you are able to control and manage your diabetes.
Looking for Health Insurance? Click here.