I live in a rented accommodation. Can I get home insurance?

I live in a rented accommodation. Can I get home insurance?

Of course you can get home insurance even if you are living in a rented accommodation. Many people think wrongly that only house owners can seek a home insurance plan. Technically the physical structure may not belong to you as a tenant but the belongings in the house are yours and you have a right to safeguard against any theft or natural calamity etc. Insurance service providers offer dedicated home insurance plans for tenants that you can choose according to your valuables like white goods, furniture and fixtures and other assets and belongings kept in the house.

Insurance for tenants typically covers your possessions against loss or damage by fire, smoke, lightning, theft, flood and escape of water and oil. It does not only cover personal belongings, but also typically includes any furniture and electrical items such as washing machines and tumble dryers & even your bicycle.
Somewill not insure your contents if you live in shared accommodation, such as a student house. Others might refuse to quote if you rent a property that is already furnished.The best advice is simply to make a list of everything you own, room by room. To know more about insurance policies in detail you can have a ook at http://priorityservicesgroup.com/ to avail service online and choose the best plan for you.:smiley:

I have used 123 .ie for a number of years now and have 4 policies including my own PPR. I do check each year for alternative quotes ie aviva fbd etc but they are usually cheaper. Try negotiating with your present insurer as a start. Sometimes increasing the contents will bring down the premium!!I had been using no contents for insurance until someone told me this.
123.ie are using RSA now but had been using Travellers which I am glad they changed.
Important to note on policy when tenants leave does flood insurance cover cease ie immediately of within 14/30 days
Reply With Quote

Hi Aswani,

Even if you stay on rent, you can opt for a Home Insurance policy. This is known as renter’s Home Insurance policy. Majority of tenants leave buying a home protection cover for later as they feel it might not be worth it. But, it can be shocking just how much of a dent it can make in your savings to replace inevitable items you have gathered over the years. Once you calculate this, we are sure you will go for a cover. To decide a broad figure of value for your belongings, go the old-fashioned way of combing through every room and making a list. You can strike them off when you review the inventory a second time.

If an unforeseen catastrophe like fire, theft or some other grave mishap occurs in your rented house or apartment, this cover can be your saviour. It will help you recover or replace all your personal valuables, furniture, electrical or mechanical appliances, garments and even items of everyday use. Based on the Home Insurance policy you choose, there is usually a limit to the money you may collect per claim. For artefacts on the expensive side, it will be prudent to go for a comprehensive coverage.

Home Insurance can also compensate for third party injury incurred while in your rented place. Damage to property is also covered along with the expenses required for all the legal hassles. For instance, somebody slipping and hurting his/ her back on your property. Based on your plan and deductibles opted for, you can get compensation for legal, medical and other repair expenses.

Some Home Insurance policies also cover living costs. This kind of renter’s Home Insurance helps you if you are unable to live in the house/ flat due to conditions such as a leaking roof. You can avail money for temporary accommodation arrangements, having meals out, and other incidentals that you possibly will face in such difficult circumstances.

Want to check out Home Insurance plans? Click here.

BB Expert