Is travel insurance available for domestic travel or only for international travel?
Travel insurance is available for both domestic and international travel. Just like travel insurance covers for international traveler, domestic travel insurance is available for all travelers within India including a cover for baggage delay, medical emergencies or any apparent financial loss during travel within the country. Before picking the right travel insurance plan for your journey make sure to compare various insurance plans to make sure they provide a maximum possible protective coverage.
Do travel insurance plans cover existing medical conditions?
Not all travel plans offer a cover for current medical conditions. Only if your travel insurance plan has a pre existing condition waiver then you can even get claims for pre existing diseases that stopped you from making your trip and getting finances reimbursed. The exact nature of your travel insurance coverage will depend on the type of travel insurance and the medical condition.
Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered by any travel insurance provider.
You can get Travel Insurance for both domestic as well as international travel. Some airlines allow you to add a Travel Insurance policy when purchasing your ticket online. In fact, Indian Railways now lets you do the same as well. So, just like how you can add Travel Insurance while booking your air tickets online, you can now do the same when purchasing your train tickets. The government has collaborated with ICICI Lombard General Insurance Co. Ltd., Royal Sundaram and Shriram General Insurance Co. Ltd. to launch a Travel Insurance scheme for train travellers. Read this post for more information - https://blog.bankbazaar.com/travel-insurance-for-train-travellers-full-steam-ahead/. If you need more information on various kinds of Travel Insurance, please click here - https://www.bankbazaar.com/insurance/travel-insurance.html.
Most Travel Insurance plans don’t cover pre-existing diseases. Some of the generic inclusions and exclusions are given below.
International Travel Insurance Policy Cover Inclusions:
• Medical Expenditures
• Medical Evacuation
• Medical Repatriation
• Emergency dental pain relief
• Loss of Checked Luggage
• Delay of Luggage
• Personal Accident (Permanent/ Temporary Incapacitation or Demise)
• Loss of passport and/ or other important documents
• Personal Accountability
• Delay of Trip
• Emergency Cash Advance
International Travel Insurance Exclusions:
• Pre-existing medical condition and related complications.
• If you travel against the advice of the doctor.
• Medical expenses once the policy is expired.
• Travelling for medical purposes.
• Suicide, attempted suicide or deliberately self-inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder (such as depression, stress, anxiety, nervousness etc), anxiety/stress/depression/nervousness having no underlying physical illness as a cause; venereal disease, inebriation, or drug abuse.
• Risky employment, self-exposure to unnecessary danger (except when trying to save someone), being involved in any unlawful act.
• Complications related to pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion or childbirth.
• Treatments other than allopathy.
• The cost of eye glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, crutches and other external appliances and/or devices.
• Delay of baggage when you return.
• If passport is confiscated or detained by customs, police or other authority figures.
• If the loss is not reported to police in 24 hours.
Looking for Health Insurance? Click here.