PAN inactive

My bank told me that my PAN is inactive. How to find out whether it is active? How to activate?

Hi,

Here are the steps you need to follow.

Visit the Income Tax department’s website – www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in

Click on ‘Know Your PAN |TAN | A.O’

You will be asked to fill in details such as your Surname, First Name, Status, Date of Birth and Mobile number. Only some are mandatory. Fill in the required details.

You will receive a PIN or One Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number. You need to enter the OTP sent to you. Note that you have only 3 attempts to get the PIN right.

You will be asked to give additional details in case there are multiple records found for your entry. These include your Father’s first name, Father’s middle name and Father’s surname. Only one of them is mandatory. Enter the required details.

The status of your PAN card will be displayed along with details such as your PAN, First Name, Middle Name, Surname, whether you are an Indian citizen, your jurisdiction. The remarks column will have details regarding the status of your PAN i.e. whether your PAN is active or not.

You can follow these steps to reactivate your PAN.

Write a letter to your jurisdiction Assessing Officer (AO) in the Income Tax department, requesting them to reactivate your PAN. This is given in the form of an indemnity bond.

Once you prepare the affidavit, you will have to get copies of your income tax returns and attach them along with your affidavit. You will need to submit returns for at least 3 years. You will also have to attach a copy of the PAN that has been deactivated. Once you submit all the documents to the Income Tax department, it will take at least 2 weeks for them to verify the information and reactivate your PAN.

Looking for a Fixed Deposit? Click here.

Cheers,
BB Expert