TDS refunds without ITR


I have a below taxable income as a freelancer and hence I don’t file IT returns. Now my
new client wants to deduct TDS. How can I claim it back?


Any tax refund once deducted is only facilitated once you submit your income tax return for that year. So you can file your ITR for the current FY and then file for TDS refunds. You can file a tax return without having a taxable income so no need to worry for your income is below taxable limit. You will get the tax refunds in your account once the ITR department processes your tax return.


Hi Nisa,

You can claim a TDS refund if you don’t have taxable income. You can get TDS refund by filing your Income Tax Return. Tax refunds whenever applicable are made via 2 different means to all the tax payers:

 RTGS / NECS: In order to enable direct credit of the refund amount to the bank account of the tax payer, the taxpayer’s correct bank a/c (at least 10 digits), MICR/ IFSC code of the bank branch and required communication address is mandatory.

 Paper Cheque: The standard paper cheques wherever issued require the current bank account number and the correct address of the tax payer as mandatory information.

You can check the status of the refund through a few easy steps:

 Log into and enter your PAN and assessment year. Then click on Submit button.
 The same can also be checked through the toll free number of SBI help desk at 18004259760 or even through email to

It must be noted that the online refund is faster and quicker if the return has been filed on time and preferably through online filing system.

Looking for a Fixed Deposit? Click here.

BB Expert


TDS deduction and submitted to your PAN number is introduced to boost and encourage people to fill return.

Without filling your return you have no option left to get your deducted TDS refunded.